Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Frost Emblem Accessories Redux

You thought I forgot, didn't you?

Before I begin with the Tree stuff, while not exactly a retraction, a... change of heart... on the items from the Bear accessories post.  I stated that I would likely buy the Corroded Skeleton Key fairly early in my purchases.  On further review, I made the mistake of looking at the ridiculously high Stamina number, combining it with another item and thinking, "Wow, I can get that much Stamina AND some other stats for the same cost (or less) as another item..." forgetting that, there's no need to buy this in addition to the other item, and Stamina doesn't get me anything substantial except the ability to take a bigger hit (or more smaller hits) before dying.  While I will still have this on my list of things to purchase - 3000+ health in bear form from a single trinket is not to be laughed at - it has been moved far down to the end, because it is more beneficial to buy the other items that provide a (smaller) stamina boost in addition to stats which improve survivability over the long term instead of just against burst damage.  As such I'm drawing close to 95 Frost Emblems and trying to decide what to buy to give me the best improvement fastest (yes, I know, isn't that what that post was all about?  HUSH YOU my gear has a few pieces that differ from that analysis and I have to take that into account.... sheesh!)

Here we go with an examination of Back, Neck, Rings, and Trinkets purchasable with Frost Emblems for Trees, follow up from the post on Tier 10 and the Tree.  Much like the Bear posts before it, this carries the same disclaimers.

Trinket

Purified Lunar Dust
Stats: 153 spell power, your spell casts have a chance to gain 305 mana per 5 seconds for 15 seconds.
Cost: 60 Emblem of Frost

The only trinket of note available for Frost Emblems is Purified Lunar Dust.  Talisman of Resurgence is available for Triumph but I'm not 100% sold on it... Int is nice but I think I would rather have spell power in my trinkets.  Perhaps I'll pick that one up later, but I really do like the Dust.  Big chunk of spell power, and a fairly significant mana regen ability.  If this procs at ANY decent rate, it will be up for the entirety of any boss fight.  This will be relatively high on my list of items to pick up... but that might be just because I'm still using an iLevel 200 trinket.

Idol/Relic

Idol of the Black Willow
Stats:  The periodic healing from Rejuvenation grants 32 spell power for 15 sec, stacks up to 8 times.
Cost: 30 Emblem of Frost

Quick math, 32 * 8 = 256 spell power.  The Triumph item (Idol of Flaring Growth) grants 234 spell power for 9 seconds, but has a chance instead of being definite, but it's a fairly high percentage proc, which means this essentially gets you 22 additional spell power for 6 additional seconds, but it has to "build up" anytime it falls off.  I like it, but it's not a huge gain, and will probably end up fairly low on my list of items to replace.

Cloak

Drape of the Violet Tower
Stats: 177 armor, 69 Stamina, 69 Intellect, Blue socket, 52 crit, 30 mp5, 97 sp.
Cost: 50 Emblem of Frost


Volde's Cloak of the Night Sky
Stats: 177 armor, 69 Stamina, 69 Intellect, 60 Spirit, Yellow socket, 52 crit, 97 sp.
Cost: 50 Emblem of Frost

So here we have the choice between a Blue socket and 30 mp5 vs. a Yellow socket and 60 spirit.  I'm a tree, I like me some Spirit, and it allows me to get some haste out of the deal.  I'll take the second.

There are no rings or neck items available for Emblems of Frost, although for rings the Band of the Invoker and Heartmender's Circle and for Amulets the Evoker's Charm and Frozen Tear of Elune are worth mentioning from Triumph Emblems.  (For that matter, I completely brain farted in the Bear accessories - Clutch of Fortification is da bomb, and Shard of the Crystal Heart ain't bad either, not to mention the AWESOME Glyph of Indomitability, all available via Emblems of Triumph.)  Personally, I'd rather have the Spirit items than the mp5 ones, but I don't think any of them are outright bad choices.

One final random note... if you get this far please let me know if the WoWHead popup tooltips are working... they should be, now (*GASP!*)

Hope you found this worthwhile and enjoyable!  Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. 1. The wowhead links are working juuust fine.
    2. re: skeleton key. I TOLD YOU SO! 8D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it, I knew it when I posted it, and I did it anyway.

    It's a little stupid, really, but it's hammered into our heads as bear druids that stamina is king (and it is!... sort of), but it leads you to believe that trinkets like that are really really good.... and they're really just underwhelming when you think about it. oh well, I'm gonna go put an edit in that post to look at this one.

    ReplyDelete