Monday, November 16, 2009

Followup on the Bear Primer

It is unfortunate that we must sometimes admit we have made a mistake, but we do, and it is best that we then go back and try to correct these mistakes.

I stated unequivocably that, as a bear, you want to use the two-color gems to tack stamina on any non-blue gem.  While I still think that's not a bad plan, I intend to investigate a new (to me) idea, that I thought of after seeing another bear on my server take a different track.

He had used his 3 Jewelcrafter's gems for Solid Dragon's Eye, to get the maximum stamina from that profession.  His other gems, however, were almost completely stacked with the +20 agility Delicate Cardinal Ruby.  Keeping in mind that this was on a loot pinata raid (aka Vault of Archavon), still the healers had no trouble keeping him alive.  His character sheet dodge is over 30%.  While I don't advocate his plan (at least not yet,) I'm going to experiment with dropping my Shifting Dreadstones for Delicate Cardinal Ruby, at least at some point.  We'll see how it goes, and I suspect that come Icecrown and it's Chill of the Throne reduction to dodge, I may need to go back to Dreadstones, but for now I want to see what this kind of change does for me.

I would think that the best way to go about using something like this would be to aim for my HP to be roughly the same as non-bear high end tanks - ~45-48k buffed - and then stack as much agility as we can find.  It may even allow me to take one or two of my Solid Dragon's Eye +51 stamina gems down to Solid Majestic Zircon and use the jewelcrafter gems for +34 agility...

If I get a chance to really examine it, I'll let you know how my experiment goes.

I'm out of town this week and may have my regular update schedule broken up, but we'll see what happens.

As always, thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. As a new bear, I am really enjoying reading your blog. Please keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Skitari!

    If even one person finds all my blathering useful, then my goal with this little blogging experiment is being satisfied!

    I may not get a post up today, I drove from Louisville to Saint Louis yesterday and didn't have time to work on my upcoming posts. If not today, then hopefully tomorrow. Next week I should be back to getting more posts out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found a link here from the bugbearbutt blog. I too am really enjoying your blog!

    I have a bear/tree Druid that I just go to 80. It's a huge change for me after only playing dps, but I'm Really having fun!

    Have a safe trip and thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete