You hear from a lot of people that DPS as a feral Druid is one of the hardest ways to do DPS in the game, at least if you want to put out good numbers for it. What is it about Cat DPS that makes it so hard?
The key issue is the number of, for lack of a better term, things that you have to juggle. You have two ability resources to keep track of (Combo Points and Energy), 3 buffs for which you have to keep track of the buff or a cooldown for it (Savage Roar, Tiger's Fury, Berserk), and 3 debuffs that you, again, have to keep track of, or track of the cooldown (Mangle, Rake, and Rip). Plus you need to find time for your other big hitters (Shred, Ferocious Bite). FB, SR, and Rip all require both CP's and Energy, Berserk has multiple uses and you don't want to have just used Tiger's Fury, everything needs Energy, and your priority list includes things like "Use X if Y and Z have more than 8 seconds left."
I've heard of addons that give you helpful hints of what order to use your abilities in. I'll have to look in to that.
To go into a little more detail, here is the "priority list" as gleaned from EJ's Cat DPS Guide.
1. Keep up Savage RoarThat's scary, to say the least. It's hard enough to keep a priority list 5-6 items long (Maul, Swipe, Mangle, Lacerate, FFF, Demo Roar) with all the possibilities in WoW. Ten, I think, will be nearly impossible.
2. Keep up Mangle
3. Keep up Rake
4. Use shred for CP regeneration (remember, that points 2 and 3 are more important)
5. When at 5 CP and Rip is not up, use Rip
6. When below 30 Energy, use TF
7. Use Clearcast Proccs for Shred
8. When at 5 CP and Rip and SR are running with 8 seconds (might be longer, depending on your gear) or longer each, use FB
9. When Rip and SR will drop at nearly the same time (with less than 3 seconds difference), try to recognize it early. Then use SR with a small amount of CP to desynchronize both timers.
10. Use Berserk only at high energy, (but not higher than 85) not directly after TF and as often as possible. If you will get Hysteria or some boss mechanics will enhance your damage, save it for these situations.
Should this eventuality come to pass, however, I will make a valiant effort!! And, of course, report my results to the ravenous masses of my readers!
What's that? I was getting a little evil-dictator-ish? You mean I'm not? And I only have 3 readers? *sigh* Fine.
I may even do a Cat primer... although if I do it before I switch, it will be purely from research, not from personal experience.